Well, The first firing is about a month away and yesterday was spent with Rob collecting four bundles of hardwood edgings which are now stacked undercover. The rest of the wood for the firing (about 8 palletts of pine edgings), is hopefully coming the week after next, so fuel gathering is well underway.
I've also started laying the floor and grate, all the whole bricks are layed and now I've got to start cutting filler bricks. This will be done the week after next as I'm busy doing other things next week. The steel uprights should also be finished next week so again week after next I should be able to get the bulk of it done.
Monday, 5 March 2012
Last Wednesday with the help of Alex and Robin, 3rd year students on the 3DD programme, we got the insulation layer onto the kiln. A 4 to 5" layer springing from the side insulation blocks covering the whole arch. It was an ideal day for doing the job, warm and sunny which made the mixing and spreading the 2 tons of mix slightly more enjoyable. Now just waiting for the metalwork to be completed and I can then bolt and cement it in place.